Duke University is home to 400+ recognized student organizations that foster student interaction and exchange. DukeCard provides wireless campus card terminals and online readers that interface with the DukeCard system by reservation. These devices will allow a group to accept FLEX payments in real-time via the Duke University wireless or wired networks. They can also be used to record event attendance. In addition, DukeCard will create a website upon request to facilitate merchandise sales and donations.
The student service organization must have a valid Duke University fund code and a completed Student Organization Reader Request form.
Bring the completed form to the University DukeCard Office at 012 Telecom Drive (lower level, rear entrance) on West Campus. You can also email the completed form. Requests for readers are due at least one week (7 calendar days) in advance; requests for websites are due at least 10 calendar days prior to the event but no more than 14 calendar days in advance.
Use of DukeCard Readers by Student Organizations
The DukeCard Office has obtained wireless campus card terminals and websites to interface with the DukeCard system. These devices will allow groups to accept FLEX payments in real-time via the Duke University wireless or wired networks. Manual point sheets are no longer available for University-approved special events.
- This service is open to all Duke University related entities that have a valid Duke University fund code obtained from University Center Activities & Events (UCAE) Business and Finance Office located at 004 Bryan Center or from an approved School Student Affairs Office.
- The DukeCard Office will approve use of the FLEX account.
- All eligible groups must fill out a Service Organization Reader Request Form before the wireless campus card terminal or website will be issued.
- The organization will also be required to complete a DukeCard Property Check Out form at the time of receipt of the device.
- Network Coverage:
- The wireless campus card terminal and the website use the Duke University Network for connectivity and access is limited to areas with coverage. Please note the specific location where the device will be used on the Service Organization Reader Request form.
- The DukeCard Office will confirm wireless coverage in the area of your event.
- Wireless Campus Card Terminal
- The maximum checkout time for a device or website is one (1) week (7 days). If the device or website is needed for a longer period of time, the DukeCard Office will try to make accommodations if possible.
- The maximum number of devices or websites that may be requested is two (2) per organization. There is a limited number of devices available and will be issued on a first-come, first-served basis.
- The Service Organization Reader Request form must be turned into the DukeCard Office at 012 Telecom Building, lower level rear entrance, at least one week (7 calendar days) prior to the event and no more than 14 calendar days in advance.
- DukeCard Websites
- Requests for DukeCard websites for events or donations must include the text that will appear on the website. Please attach to the Service Organization Reader Request form.
- The Service Organization Website Request form must be turned into the DukeCard Office at 012 Telecom Building, lower level rear entrance, at least 10 calendar days prior to the event and no more than 14 calendar days in advance.
- Tenders accepted, Items to be Sold and NC Sales Tax:
- These devices will only accept Flex for payment. Food Points may not be used.
- Items to be sold are subject to NC Sales Tax and the Sales Tax must be included in the item price.
- Donations may be accepted and are not subject to NC Sales Tax.
- A single device may only be used for either item sale or donations but not both.
- The wireless campus card terminal should be returned to the DukeCard Office at 02 Telcom Building within one (1) business day after the event.
- The DukeCard Office is open Monday-Friday from 8:00 am until 6:00 pm.
- If the device is not returned within one (1) business day, a DukeCard Office representative will contact the Group Representative listed on the Service Organization Reader Request Form.
- If the device is not returned within seven (7) calendar days, a late fee of $25 per day will be assessed for the first five (5) calendar days.
- If the device has not been returned within 12 calendar days after the event, the current full cost recovery of the device and all parts not returned will be charged against the University Fund Code provided on Service Organization Reader Request Form.
- The current full recovery cost is $2250.
- Transfer of Funds:
- At the conclusion of the event and once all equipment has been returned to the DukeCard Office, the sales totals will be reconciled to the DukeCard system.
- The DukeCard Office does not guarantee funds collected through the terminal in off-line mode. Wireless campus card terminals returned to the DukeCard Office more than one business week after the event may not be processed.
- Proceeds from the student organization event will only be credited to valid Duke University accounting codes.
- The DukeCard Office will not issue checks.
- Please contact 684-2594 or visit 004 Bryan Center to obtain your organization’s accounting code or if you would like to request that a check be issued.
- All accounting code credits will be processed at the end of the fiscal month in which the debits to cardholder accounts were processed. There is a 3% service fee charged for all Flex transactions.